Gear: Beyond Shoes

Running is great because you lace up your shoes and head out the door. It's really that simply and yet as we look at preparing for and running long distances, the demands we put on ourselves does require a little bit of gear to make it through those particularly long runs.



How much gear? That's a personal choice and a question you'll need to answer for yourself. My goal here is to provide you with a look at what's out there so you can make an educated decision on what's right for you.



One of the biggest factors in long distance running is hydration. While you may not need to carry lots of fluids with you on your short days, certainly there is a need for some way of getting liquids on those runs that take you out on the road for over an hour.



There are loads of solutions and so I've tried to bring you a good selection depending on your approach to solving the problem of keeping hydrated.



If you simply decide that you will stop and buy a water or sports drink when you are out running then all you really need to worry about is where to put your money. Over the years I've used several different shoe or running wallets with a lot of success. This simple design attaches over the laces on the top of your shoe and provides a convenient place for money, Id, keys, etc. I'm currently using the Nike Running Wallet, which features a hard plastic clip that locks in through the laces and is made of an expandable material. It keeps what I need securely in place and no matter how much my foot sweats, everything stays dry inside. I have used a more basic design in the past which features a velcro strap to attach to the laces. It is a little larger than the Nike, but it does not expand which means, whatever fits, fits and that's it. While hunting for these images I did find several other neoprene shoe wallets of a similar design to Nike for a couple of bucks less. Just do a google search for shoe wallets and you'll find them. For me I'm sticking with what I've got because I know it works for me!



If you're not in to stopping for a couple of minutes to buy a water there is always the basic water bottle. Again they range from "just a bottle" to much more elaborate. I've tried both ways. The problem for me with carrying just a bottle is it's awkward and inconvenient.



Currently, when I'm running a mid distance where I need some fluid and I don't feel like stopping mid run to buy some I carry a Nathan Sports Quickdraw Plus water bottle. It comes with a carrying strap that also features a storage pouch for keys, Id, etc. The one I have also includes a clip on the cap that easily clips to my waste so I don't have to hold onto it once it's empty. The carrying strap makes this particular design easier to bring along as I don't really have to grip the bottle once I slide my hand into the strap.


If you don't mind hanging on to the bottle the whole time you are running you can find water bottles just about anywhere from sporting goods store to discount store to drug stores. Most water bottles are somewhere in the 20 to 22 oz. size and at the recommended 6 oz. per half hour of running you should be fine for quite some time with them.



There is also another solution for this range of running the waste pack. Most of these "belts" will include a holster for one large bottle or several holsters for multiple small bottles. An obvious advantage here is the fact that you can carry water plus some form of electrolyte drink as well.



I have to say that I do not own one of these because I have never been comfortable with a heavy load around my waist (except for my belly of course). A lot of runners seem to swear by them. The most popular seem to be the ones made by Fuel Belt. I see them in every marathon and almost everyday when I run.



Once you start to get into the really long distances your options change. Of course you can just carry more money or you can take a look at hydration packs. I own a Camelbak and am pretty happy with it when I need it. Remember one thing, the bigger the pack the more weight you'll be adding and the more adjusting you have to do to get used to it. The picture to the right is the newest version of the one I have. It's a 50 oz. version. That should be plenty of water for your long runs and although I paid a little more for mine a couple of years ago, you can find them online today for under $30. Some of the other big manufacturers are of course Nathan Sports and Hydrapak. Once again, I can't really recommend one brand over the other, I just know that what I'm using works for me.



Urban running can present its' own share of problems and obstacles. For me that means, as much as I'd like to be disconnected from everything by not carrying my cell phone or keys or Id, it's not really an option. Unless I'm going for a quick 3 or 4 miles, I always like to carry my cell and enough money for cab fare if I hit some nasty sidewalk and twist something. You might say I'm setting myself up for disaster (predicting the future) but, I look at it as being prepared, especially since I would have been royally screwed if I didn't have my cell phone with me when I had my heart attack!



And so as I said, unless it's only 3 or 4, I'm prepared like a boyscout every time I head out the door. My cell phone doesn't fit in my shoe wallet. It does fit in my hydration pack, but what about those in between distances?



That's where we introduce the fanny pack or the waist pack. Once again, I turned to Nathan Sports for mine, but they're not the only game in town. Nike, Asics, Brooks, Roadrunner Sports and more, all make decent waist packs. The best for me is the kind with a neoprene waistband. Over the long run it's just more comfortable.



In a marathon like Los Angeles or Long Beach, I don't worry about fluids because they have a ton of stations set up along the course. What I am concerned with is the quick energy when I'm running out of gas. My waist pack will carry a supply of gel shots to help me through a marathon, along with my cell phone, Id, keys, money, etc. I've actually managed on a few occasions to even carry my digital camera in there as well as all the other stuff. I don't recommend that too often though.


Beyond the types of gear I've talked about so far there are several different types of performance monitoring devices designed to help you track and improve your training based on feedback. They range from the simple pedometer to the highly advanced combination GPS heart rate monitoring systems.


We'll take a look at some of them now.

If I was going to recommend one extra piece of gear in particular for monitoring and improving your overall performance it would be a heart rate monitor. While your number one goal for completing a marathon is just plan to be able to say you did it, I would like to think that somewhere in the back of your mind you like the idea of improving your overall health and fitness.


In order to consistently improve your aerobic fitness. You must improve your cardiovascular system. As a general rule, when exercising aerobically, the most consistent improvements in aerobic fitness come when you are exercising in the range of 60 to 90% of your maximum heart rate. Your exact target heart rate depends on several factors including your level of fitness.


Training outside of that target heart rate range will either show little or no benefit, or can put the individual at risk. A heart rate monitor will allow you instant feedback which should allow you to stay in the zone where the most gains can be made.


As with the other gear we've discussed, there are several manufacturers. I own a Polar S625X which is combined with a foot pod to track distance as well. Others include Garmin, Timex, Reebok, Acumen, Oregon Scientific and a whole slew more. Prices vary dramatically depending on features and I found some online for as little as $35.


This is a piece of equipment that takes a little getting used to because you are wearing not only the wrist receiver but also a chest band which reads your heart rate and transmits it.


Available features range from simple heart rate monitoring to time, distance,and even speed monitoring as some of the units are combined with a GPS unit.


One of the most motivating pieces of equipment I own is my Garmin Forerunner 205 wrist GPS unit. Had I been patient enough when I bought it I would have held out for the 305 which includes a heart rate monitor, but it's still pretty cool. This device is not a necessity and yet it is great to have. Most of these GPS based units will allow you to track your workouts and then upload them to your computer and for those of you wanting to share your workouts with the world, you can then upload them to running blogs and other websites where you can share your favorite workouts with everyone. It's pretty cool watching your miles click up there on your computer as you download workouts. The only drawback for me and the reason I don't wear it more often is the bulkiness versus my regular Nike training watch. I'm not into bulky accessories when I run if I can at all avoid them. So the heart rate monitor or the training sports watch tend to win out over the GPS. Timex does also have a GPS unit that works similarly, but the GPS unit attaches to your waist or an armband. Pretty trick and they do work!


There you have it. A summary of the gear. I did not discuss apparel or the ever popular media systems on the market. I address the right or wrong clothes to wear here.

As for the media thing, I guess I'm just one of those guys who likes to keep running pure and experience my surroundings when I run.

No comments: